Community Assistance Program
COMMUNITY ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (CAP)
Program Goals and Objectives:
To increase self-sufficiency;
To reduce poverty among Tribal members and their families;
To honor our Tribal Elders and Tribal Members; and
To continue to provide quality services and expand programs to meet essential needs of the KBIC members.
Funding assistance is lacking to meet essential needs of the KBIC members.
CAP provides assistance not provided by federal, state, local or other tribal sources in order to promote self-sufficiency of KBIC members by ensuring the quality of life, general health and welfare of each one.
The Community Assistance Program administers the following listed programs:
1. BIA-GA Funded
· General Assistance (GA) – Provides financial assistance payments for basic essential needs. The goal of the program is to increase self-sufficiency.
· Emergency (EA) – For essential needs to prevent hardship in situations where a home or personal possessions are destroyed or damaged through forces beyond their control.
· Burial Assistance (BA) – For indigent (lack of resources because of poverty) burials.
· General, Burial, Emergency Assistance: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/25/part-20/subpart-C
· Individual Self-Sufficiency Plan: http://www.bia.gov/cs/groups/webteam/documents/document/idc1-027830.pdf
2. Tribal Elders Pension and Tribal Disability Pension/Heating Assistance for Marquette Trust Properties and Baraga County
3. Tribal Elders/Disability Heating Assistance for Ontonagon County- Tribal Heating assistance for Elders and Disabled person in Baraga County, Ontonagon County and on the Baraga Trust Properties in Marquette MI Programs is available the month of November through May, for each fiscal year.
4. Community Needs Assistance Program (CNAP)
· Non-Medical Assistance – To replace or repair appliances or equipment; Utility and heating disconnects; Vehicle repairs or tire replacements.
· Medical Travel/Services – For medical travel, specialists, overnight hospitalizations, medical/surgical procedures, out the area travel to visit hospitalized family members, to attend sobriety/family therapy sessions and to obtain medical alert services.
· Fire – For fire damage involving a primary residence.
· Local Funeral Allowance – For out of the area immediate family members to attend local funerals.
· Out of the Area Funeral Allowance – For immediate family member funerals.
5. ACF-DHHS Low Income Heating Assistance Energy (LHEAP) - Heating assistance for eligible households within the KBIC eight county service area, whose gross annual income falls within the 60% of the state median income guideline.
· Direct Assistance Program (DAP) – Heating Assistance for qualified applicants.
· Energy Crisis Intervention Program (ECIP) – Assist with energy crisis.
6. Community Service Block Grant (CSGB) Assistance – Assist with urgent emergencies.
7. Superior Watershed Partnership Michigan Energy Assistance Program (SWP MEAP) - Partnership with SWP to provide intake and referral services to process applications for primary heating and/or non-heating electric assistance. Assistance available starting mid-October thru September or until funding runs out. Same funding as LIHEAP.
8. CITGO-Citizen’s – Heating assistance for eligible households within the KBIC eight county service area, whose gross annual income falls within the 60% of the state median income guideline and be qualified for Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). Funding available January thru April.